What was plate armour ?
- fighting harness and body guard for hits and injuries
- heavy steel and iron plates able to withstand such dangerous arms as the lance, heavy
swords and the first fire arms
And the armourer ?
- the craftsman who sat on a work bench and processed raw materials on an anvil with
hammers and punches of various shapes
- he made the complete plate armour from more than a hundred separate plates, mostly
- armourers were at the forefront of new developments in the body guarding materials
- assumed large proportions from 14th to 17th centuries
- the development of more effective fire weapons began, by easy stages, to obviate the
need for heavy plate arms